Donald Trump Jr. apparently expects the world to believe that he has had “zero contact” with his father since he was sworn into office. So no need to worry about all that pesky conflict of interest stuff. Nothing to see here, folks!
Speaking at a GOP fundraiser in Dallas on Saturday, Trump Jr. told the crowd that he no longer has any real communications with his dad now that he is the president.
“I basically have zero contact with him at this point,” Trump Jr. claimed with a straight face.
Trump’s son said he believed that he would be “out of politics” and could just return to his “regular life” once the election was finally over. “But I couldn’t,” he said.
“Deals are still exciting,” he added. “But when you’re the sort of guy out there every day, 24-7 fighting in this thing — it’s like a great fight.”
Trump supposedly gave all control of his businesses to his two adult sons, Donald Jr. and Eric, when he became president and his assets were to be placed into a trust. But so far, he has offered nothing to prove that he has actually done any of this. The closest he has come to verifying that he has divested himself from his business interests is a stack of folders he pointed to at a press conference that supposedly held the proof.
The Office of Government and Ethics (OGE) has cried foul over this arrangement from the very beginning, saying Trump’s entire plan is “wholly inadequate” when it comes to resolving his many conflicts of interest.
After claiming that they just don’t have the time to talk to one another anymore, Trump Jr. also took the opportunity to stroke his daddy’s ego during this weekend’s fundraiser. “I’m watching more take place in two months than I saw in two terms before,” he said.
Featured image via Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images